Walt Pfeffer is a litigator whose practice focuses on breach of contract, trademark infringement, and business disputes. He has represented a wide variety of clients, including semiconductor companies, inventors, startups, banks, food producers, retail stores, construction businesses, and the occasional fitness celebrity. In 2015, 2016 and 2017, Walt was named a Rising Star in Northern California for Business Litigation by SuperLawyers magazine.
Walt began his career in the New York office of Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP. Over five years with Quinn, he worked on some of the largest cases in the world, including the FHFA mortgage backed securities litigations and the Madoff litigations. Since joining Singer / Bea LLP in January 2014, he has worked with clients of every description and quickly become an adroit practitioner in California’s state and federal courts. Walt offers not only substantial litigation skills, honed among some of the best in the business, but also an affable, professional demeanor that clients appreciate and trust.
- J.D., New York University School of Law (2009)
- B.A., Political Science and English (cum laude), Southern Methodist University (2006)
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- State Bars: California and New York
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
- Northern District of California
- Central District of California
- Southern District of California
Some of Walt’s notable matters include:
- Kingate Global Fund Ltd. v. Deutsche Bank Securities Inc. (S.D.N.Y.) – Represented investment funds in a breach of contract action involving the sale of claims related to the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities.
- Peregrine Semiconductor Corp. v. Benton (S.D. Cal.) – Represented an inventor in a breach of contract action.
- GMYL, L.P. v. Coppola (N.D. Cal.) – Represented an Italian food producer in a trademark infringement suit.
- Hassas v. Conrad (L.A. Superior) – Represent a celebrity fitness personality in breach of contract action.
- HSH Nordbank AG v. UBS AG (N.Y. Supreme) – Represented a German bank in an action for breach of contract and fraud involving a managed synthetic collateralized debt obligation.
- Intrigo Systems, Inc. v. Semtech Corp. (Alameda Superior) – Represent a semiconductor company in a suit for breach of contract.
- 24/7 Customer, Inc. v. 24-7 Intouch (N.D. Cal.) – Represent a customer care and technology company in a trademark infringement suit.
- Citigroup Global Financial Markets, Inc. v. Dunn (FINRA Arbitration) – Represented thirteen former employees against allegations of breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secrets. The FINRA panel dismissed all claims with prejudice.
- Ether Group SAL v. Gennum Corp. (Contra Costa Superior) – Represent a semiconductor company in a breach of contract action.
- FHFA v. UBS Americas, Inc., et al. (S.D.N.Y.) – Represented the Federal Housing Finance Agency in a series of securities fraud suits against some of the largest banks in the world—including UBS, Deutsche Bank, Nomura, Credit Suisse, and Countrywide—in connection with the banks’ sale of residential mortgage backed securities. The settlements from these cases are valued in excess of $8 billion.