Katie Erno’s practice covers a wide range of business-related disputes, including intellectual property litigation, shareholder disputes, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, professional malpractice and breach of contract, as well as employment and class action litigation. Katie has represented clients in State and Federal courts in California, New York, Illinois, and Oklahoma. She regularly serves as both defense and plaintiff counsel and does work at both the trial and appellate levels. Katie has experience representing clients at all stages of litigation, including drafting and challenging complaints, jurisdictional disputes, fact and expert discovery, claim construction, summary judgment, trial preparation, and appellate briefing and oral argument. Her cases range from smaller business disputes to those involving large liability exposure in the context of high-profile bankruptcies.
- J.D. (cum laude), New York University School of Law (2009)
- B.A., Hispanic Studies and Communications (cum laude), Boston College (2004)
- State Bar: California
- Northern District of California
- Eastern District of California
- Farmer Boys et al. v. Farm Burger LLC et al. (N.D. Cal. 2014) – Successfully defended Georgia-based restaurant against trademark infringement and related claims brought by Southern California restaurant chain. The case was resolved favorably for defendants on confidential terms shortly before trial.
- Ramirez v. Guzman Brothers, Inc. (Cal. Sup. Ct. 2015) – Successfully defeated class certification on behalf of Guzman Brothers, Inc., owner/operator of La Piñata of Fremont—against wage and hour claims brought by former employee Miguel Ramirez and “others similarly situated.”
- King v. Mobile Fleetcare (Cal. Sup. 2014) – Successfully defended one of the largest providers of on-site auto-repair services in the San Francisco Bay Area against discrimination and related claims brought by former employee. The case was resolved favorably for defendant on confidential terms.
- Tucker, et al. v. Telesocial Inc. (Cal. Sup. Ct. 2014) – Successfully defended telecommunications start-up company and its directors in a dispute with two shareholders. The case was resolved favorably for defendants on confidential terms.
- Guziewicz v. ZL Technologies, et al. (Cal. Sup. Ct. 2014) – Represented plaintiff in action seeking shareholder rights and return of stock compensation wrongfully denied by ZL Technologies. The matter resolved on confidential terms.
- Bettina Whyte, as Trustee for the SemGroup Litigation Trust v. PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP (Okla. Dist. Ct.)- Represented the Trustee of the SemGroup Litigation Trust in a suit brought against PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLP related to PricewaterhouseCooper's breach of its professional and fiduciary duties that resulted in the multi-billion dollar collapse of SemGroup, a midstream oil company in Oklahoma. Plaintiff successfully remanded the case back to state court, survived a motion to dismiss, and defeated several key summary judgment motions. The case settled shortly before trial.
- Dr. Bondi, Extraordinary Commissioner of Parmalat S.p.A. v. Grant Thornton LLP (2d Cir.)- Represented Extraordinary Commissioner of Parmalat S.p.A., the Italian dairy and food products conglomerate, in a lawsuit against various Grant Thornton entities arising out of one of the largest bankruptcies in European history. Plaintiff successfully challenged federal jurisdiction in the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, which resulted in an order vacating an adverse summary judgment decision.