Benjamin represents plaintiffs and defendants in intellectual property disputes and other technology-centric business disputes. He has served as lead counsel in dozens of actions throughout the United States, including in every District Court of California. In 2015, 2016, and 2017 Benjamin was named a Rising Star in Northern California for IP Litigation by SuperLawyers magazine.
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School (2002)
- BSE, Aerospace Engineering (cum laude), University of Michigan (1999)
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Member, Licensing Executives Society
- Member, American Bar Association
- Former Adjunct Law Professor at St. Francis College
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan LLP
- Fish & Neave LLP (now Ropes & Gray LLP)
- State Bars: California, New York, and Massachusetts
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Northern District of California
- Central District of California
- Eastern District of California
- Southern District of California
- Southern District of New York
Some of Benjamin's current representations include:
- Proxicom Wireless, LLC v. Macy's Inc. et al (M.D. Fl.) – Lead counsel for defendant in a patent infringement action relating to BLE technology.
- Software Research, Inc. (N.D. Cal.) - Lead counsel for inventor/plaintiff in a series of patent infringement actions relating to automatic performance and regression testing of web applications.
Throughout Benjamin's career he has successfully represented clients as lead counsel in a variety of disputes ranging from high-stakes patent litigations to complex commercial cases.
Some of Benjamin's notable patent representations include:
- Lead counsel for inventor plaintiff in series of patent infringement actions in the Eastern District of Texas relating to dynamic packet processing.
- Lead counsel for inventor plaintiff in patent infringement actions in the District of Delaware relating to synchronized playback through wireless speakers.
- Blackbird Tech, LLC v. Arro, Inc. and Creative Mobile Technologies, LLC (D. Del.) – Lead counsel for four defendants in a patent infringement action relating to GPS enabled computing.
- Thermolife International, LLC v. NBTY, Inc. et al.; Thermolife International, LLC v. Solgar, Inc.; Thermolife International, LLC v. United States Nutrition, Inc.; Thermolife International, LLC v. Sundown Naturals (S.D. Cal.) – Lead counsel for four defendants in a patent infringement action relating to dietary supplements.
- The Tawnsaura Group v. Puritan’s Pride; The Tawnsaura Group v. NBTY (C.D. Cal.) – Lead counsel for defendants in two separate patent infringement lawsuits brought by a non-practicing entity relating to dietary supplements.
- Reason Bradley v. Applied Marine Systems, Inc. (N.D. Cal.) - Lead counsel for inventor/plaintiff in a patent infringement action against a competitor relating to tiltable sonar mounts.
- Qommerce Systems, LLC v. Ancestry.com (E.D. Tex.) - Lead counsel for defendant in a patent infringement action relating to e-commerce technology.
- PanTaurus LLC v. Ancestry.com (E.D. Tex.) - Lead counsel for defendant in a patent infringement action relating to hardware architecture.
- McRO, Inc. v. Insomniac Games, Inc. (C.D. Cal.) – Lead counsel for defendant in a patent infringement action relating to automated lip sync animation in video games.
- Albert John Freeman v. Walgreen Co. (N.D. Cal.) – Lead counsel for defendant in a patent infringement action relating to commercial transaction systems.
- Thermolife International, LLC v. Myogenix Corp. et al. (S.D. Cal.) - Lead counsel for defendants in a patent infringement action relating to dietary supplements.
- Ryu v. Avon Products, Inc. (N.D. Cal.) - Lead counsel for plaintiff and patent owner Bu Kwang Ryu against Avon for patent infringement relating to a cosmetic brush case.
- David Shin v. Wolo Manufacturing Corp. et al. (C.D. Cal.) - Lead counsel for defendants in a design patent suit relating to mini halogen lights.
Some of Benjamin's notable trademark representations include:
- CAFE Foundation, Inc. v. Seeley (N.D. Cal.) – Lead trial counsel for defendant in Lanham Act and trademark infringement action.
- 24/7 Customer, Inc. v. 24-7 Intouch et al. (N.D. Cal.) - Lead counsel for defendant in a trademark infringement action relating to call center solutions.
- Orion Pictures Corp. v. Orion Entertainment Inc., et al. (C.D. Cal) - Lead counsel for defendant in a trademark infringement action relating to media production.
- Michael Zschoche v. Locale Lifestyle Magazine et al. (S.D. Cal.) - Lead counsel for defendants in a trademark infringement action relating to periodicals.
- Moroccanoil Inc. v. Blue Moon Beauty LLC et al. (C.D. Cal.) - Lead counsel for defendants in a trademark infringement suit relating to the cosmetic industry.
- Axis Labs, Inc. v. Ashley Conrad et al. (C.D. Cal.) – Lead counsel for defendant in a trademark infringement action relating to dietary supplements.
Some of Benjamin's notable business tort representations include:
- Creative Mobile Technologies LLC v. Flywheel Software Inc. (N.D. Cal.) – Lead trial counsel for plaintiff in a breach of contract and tortious interference action.
- PACT XPP Technologies AG v. Alliacense Limited, LLC (Cal. Supr.) – Lead trial counsel for plaintiff in a breach of contract action in Santa Clara.
- Veritas Investments, Inc. v. Lantern Group Realty (Cal. Supr.) – Lead counsel for defendants in a trade secret misappropriation action in San Francisco.
- Peregrine Semiconductor Corporation v. Robert Benton et al. (S.D. Cal.) – Lead counsel for defendant Robert Benton in a breach of contract action relating to inventorship rights.
- Lead counsel for plaintiff Creative Mobile Technologies, LLC in a breach of contract case. Achieved settlement within 60 days of being retained to take over the dispute, which had been litigated for more than two years.
- Consilium Wealth Management et al. v. Clarity Wealth et al. (Cal .Supr.) - Lead counsel for a wealth management firm asserting a trade secret, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty claim in Conta Costa.
Ben has had the privilege of serving as counsel for many high-performing companies. Some of his clients include:
- Ancestry.com LLC
- Aubin Industries, Inc.
- Aurora Innovation
- Blue Moon Beauty, LLC
- Clutch Bodyshop
- Consilium Wealth Management
- Coppola Foods Limited
- Creative Mobile Technologies, LLC
- EZchip Technologies Ltd.
- FWD:Power, LLC
- Insomniac Games, Inc.
- KlausTech LLC
- Locale Lifestyle Magazine LLC
- Myogenix Corp.
- NBTY, Inc.
- RF Micro Devices
- sMedio Inc.
- Software Research Inc.
- Symantec Corporation
- Telesocial Inc.
- Tyto Life, LLC
- Universal Sonar Mount, Inc.
- Wolo Manufacturing Corp.
- Walgreen Company
In 2012, Creative Mobile Technologies, LLC sought out new counsel to take over a breach of contract/fraud lawsuit that our previous counsel had been unable to settle. We were referred to Benjamin Singer. Within a few months, Ben helped us to secure a settlement that exceeded our expectations. While we often use much larger firms, we were impressed with Ben’s focused commitment to us and to our case. He understood that we needed not only to win, but to win in a way that worked for our business.
As former in-house counsel at two leading telecom companies, I have seen a lot of very good lawyers. I can say that Ben is the real deal. He offers the rare combination of instinct, intelligence, leadership and technical aptitude. More importantly, I trust him.
Ben was an excellent advocate for my company. He was always responsive, provided realistic expectations, and litigated effectively and efficiently. I would highly recommend Ben to anyone who needs a committed business litigator.
Ben provided value far beyond what I expected from a lawyer with no prior exposure to our business. After one meeting and a few follow-up calls, Ben was an expert in both our technology and core business plan. He understood the nuances because he approached my problems like they were his own.
I've worked with Ben in private practice and as in-house counsel. He is very smart, organized, and self motivated. Because he is excellent at running cases from start to finish, I trust him. That makes my job easier and that's priceless.
What distinguishes Benjamin Singer is that he is not satisfied with just doing his job. He insists on excellence, both in his work product and in himself as an attorney. He goes above and beyond in terms of time, effort, and personal development.
Ben and his firm jumped into a complex and urgent situation on our company's behalf. He quickly got up the curve in the subject matter at hand and created strategic information and conclusions that were instrumental in our go-forward plan. The moment we run into an IP situation next time around, Ben will be the first call.